Tuesday, June 23, 2009

julie blackmon: haute photography: family portraiture

In Boulder, dare I say, we have little if any arts and culture scene. Our humble, but growing BMOCA for contemporary arts tries to educate the public by being open for free on Saturdays at the local organic farmers market. (The BMOCA has recently gotten some tax dollars for a grant to renovate and the interior now looks better than ever--especially the entrance.) This is where I discovered and was blown away by the avant guard stylings and genius of local photographer Julie Blackmon. Julie's photography to me is a narrative on the complexities and absurdities surrounding home life, rife with chaos, comfort, tradition and adaptation. I am dying to have a family portrait done by her now. I have not seen anything so creative and fresh for awhile! The photographs shown are from her series 'Domestic Vacations'.

0 comments:

Post a Comment